- Total of 16,063 new businesses were formed in Q3 2016, a decrease of 8.9% against the preceding quarter. The rate of contraction is comparable with the corresponding quarter in 2015.
- The Private Limited Company accounted for a major share in the total new businesses formed (55.3%), with 8,835 new companies formed in the Quarter.
- Continuing the trend from previous quarter, Sole Proprietorship registration held the second largest share of 38.3%..
- Exempt Private Limited Companies (EPC), with 7,488 registrations accounted for 84.3% of the total Private Limited companies formed during the quarter.
- The number of Private Limited companies formed during the quarter dropped by 4.8% against the previous quarter due to decline in the registration of EPCs.
- The number of companies with a share capital of more than $100,000 but less than $500,000 registered a marginal increase from 3% in the previous quarter to 4% in the third quarter.
- In terms of local and foreign shareholding, the share of the wholly locally held companies saw a marginal increase from 48% in the previous quarter to 49% in the third quarter, while the share of the foreign held companies decreased from 52% in previous quarter to 51% in the current quarter. The share of 100% foreign held companies saw a decline from 39% to 38% in Q3 of 2016.
- Shares of British Virgin Islands subsidiaries saw an increase from 5% in the previous quarter to 7% in Q3 of 2016. Shares of subsidiaries of United States, Australian, Cayman Islands and Indian Companies saw a decline of one percentage point from previous quarter.
- The share of subsidiaries of Hong Kong and United Kingdom companies remain unchanged against the preceding quarter.
- Entrepreneurs from India, Malaysia and China retained the leading investors spot in Singapore in Q3 of 2016. The Share of local entrepreneurs and investors setting up companies also remained unchanged against the previous quarter.
The report is presented in five parts;
- Business Formation by Entity Type
- Business Formation by Share Capital
- Business Formation by Shareholding structure
- Business Formation by Industry
- Business formation by shareholder’s country of origin
Business Formation by Entity
Business Formation by Share Capital
Business Formation by Shareholding Structure
Business Formation by Shareholder’s Country
Business Formation by Industry